Lord Nelson and Tenacious are the only tall ships in the world designed so they can be sailed by a a truly mixed ability crew, including people with a wide variety of physical impairments and health conditions.
The accessible features of both SV Tenacious and STS Lord Nelson, make every aspect of shipboard life available to all, from setting the sails, going aloft and helming the ship.
Among the many accessible features found on Lord Nelson and Tenacious are:
- wheelchair lifts and wide decks that provide equal and easy access throughout the ship
- a speaking compass that enables those with visual impairments to steer the ship
- power assisted steering and a joystick for people with limited dexterity
- unique ascender systems that allow wheelchair users to experience ‘life aloft’ up our masts
- Signage in braille, guidance tracks, tactile stair strips and raised directional arrows on handrails for people with visual impairments
For more information on the accessibility of our ships please click on the links below:
To see a virtual tour of our ships click on the links below: